Social Security

All individuals must obtain a Social Security number (SSN) and card to be employed by  City of Hope. To obtain an original number and card, a foreign national needs to complete an application for a Social Security card (Form SS-5) and provide documentation that proves his or her identity. There is no charge to get a Social Security card.
There are three (3) ways to get an SSN application:
  • Visit the Social Security Administration online.
  • Call 800-772-1213. 
  • Go to the local Social Security office located at 104 North Mentor Ave., Pasadena, CA 91106
When applying for a SSN and card, the applicant will need to prove his or her age, identity and visa status. Here are some of the documents the Social Security office accepts as proof of identity:
Valid foreign passport with I-94 card and immigration documents
  • Driver's license
  • Employer ID card
  • Marriage or divorce record
  • Health care insurance card (not a Medicare card)
  • Life insurance policy
After processing, a Social Security card will be physically mailed to the foreign national applicant. Once it is received, the foreign national employee needs to present the card to the human resources and payroll departments as quickly as possible so that employment paperwork can be finalized.