F-1 Visa for Students

The "F" visa is reserved for non-immigrants wishing to pursue academic studies and/or language training programs here in the United States. Foreign students seeking to study in the U.S. may enter in the F-1 category provided they meet the following criteria:
The student must be enrolled full-time in an "academic" educational Ph.D. program; The student must be proficient in English; The student must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study which is normally supplied by the graduate student fellowship, provided by  City of Hope; The student must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up. Foreign nationals studying at the Irell & Manella Graduate School of Biological Sciences of City of Hope(F-status) may be granted the right to work outside of City of Hope on a very limited basis.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a training opportunity for a maximum combined period of one (1) year, either pre-or post-graduation. This practical training may be authorized for an F-1 student who has been lawfully enrolled on a full time basis; which usually is granted after completion of their Ph.D. studies.
Please note: Paperwork for OPT must be applied for at least three months before the end of the applicant's Ph. D. program.
Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) is defined as alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education or other type of required internship or practicum that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Students must be authorized by the Designated School Official (DSO) in order to participate. A student may begin curricular practical training only after receiving his or her Form I–20 with the DSO endorsement. The current DSO at City of Hope is Kimberly Gentile, Immigration Specialist, Human Resources: 626-256-4673 ext. 63872
Spouses and Children of F-1 Visa Holders
The dependent spouse and/or children of the F-1 visa holder may be admitted into the United States as F-2 dependents. F-2 dependents are not permitted to engage in employment.
How to Apply for an F-1 Visa
For information or how to apply for a visa, please contact:
Kimberly Gentile
Immigration Specialist
Human Resources
626-256-HOPE (4673), ext. 63872
Irell & Manella Graduate School of Biological Sciences
To learn about City of Hope’s admission requirements, or for information, please contact:
Steve Novak, Ph.D.
Irell & Manella Graduate School
of Biological Sciences
City of Hope
Miller Bldg., Rm.107
1500 E. Duarte Road.
Duarte, CA 91010